Old Uncle Joe decided that now was the perfect time to head out to the U.S. Virgin Islands this week for a vacation with his family as multiple millions of Americans were forced to suffer from one fo the deadliest winter storms to sweep across the country in the past few years.
One of the most devasted areas was Erie County, New York, where a total of 34 people have already died due to the extreme snowfalls and horrendously cold temperatures. A few hundred soldiers from the National Guard were sent out to hand out food to residents and try to check in on them and their overall well-being. In total, a total of 86 people needed to be rescued “from hazardous situations,” expressed the National Guard in a release.
It was highlighted by CNN that the storm managed to kill an additional 25 people in 11 other states and resulted in multiple millions of people losing power.
While all of this was taking place, Biden chose to travel out to St. Croix to take a vacation, reportedly electing to stay entirely for free in a luxury villa that was owned by Bill and Connie Neville, billionaire donors to the Democrats.
The media coverage that Biden ended up getting for choosing now of all times to take a vacation as multiple millions of Americans are suffering through the aftermath of a natural disaster was quite different than the coverage issues against Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) when he chose to take a vacation this past February when people throughout Texas were dealing with power outages due to a late winter storm.
Stephen L. Miller, a political commentator, pulled together a large list highlighting the difference in coverage in the media from a number of different publications for the pair of events:
- Biden – “President Biden traveled to a place very familiar to him – the U.S. Virgin Islands – to enjoy some downtime and warmer weather and to ring in a new year with family.”
- Cruz – “BREAKING: Senator Ted Cruz travels to Cancun with family as Texas faces winter storm crisis.”
The Associated Press:
- Biden – “President Joe Biden on Tuesday was headed to a place very familiar to him the U.S. Virgin Islands to enjoy some downtime and warmer weather and to ring in a new year with family.”
- Cruz – “Texas Sen. Ted Cruz traveled to Mexico for a family vacation as his home state struggles with a weather crisis. a source tells AP. The high-profile Republican was expected to return immediately, according to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.”
- Biden – “President Joe Biden this week returns to St. Croix, one of his and first lady Jill Biden’s beloved vacation spots, seeking a final opportunity for rest before what is expected to be a contentious 2023 and reelection run.”
- Cruz – “Sen. Ted Cruz and his family flew to Cancun, Mexico, as a winter disaster in his home state of Texas left millions without power or water, according to photos posted on social media and confirmed to CNN by a person familiar with the travel itinerary.”
NBC Bay Area:
- Biden – “President Biden is in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands to enjoy some downtime and warmer weather and to ring in the new year with family.”
- Cruz – “Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas traveled to Mexico for a family vacation as his home state struggles with a winter weather crisis that has left many residents struggling without power, photos posted to social media appear to show.”
If you squint, you can see a very subtle difference here. pic.twitter.com/qgP6a80cLo
— Stephen L. Miller (@redsteeze) December 28, 2022