For nearly two months, one of the most vulnerable Republicans in Congress has effectively disappeared from Washington.
Rep. Tom Kean Jr., the New Jersey Republican representing one of the country’s most competitive swing districts, has not cast a vote in the House since March 5. In a chamber where Republicans are already clinging to an extremely narrow majority, the prolonged absence quietly became a growing source of anxiety for GOP leadership and a political opportunity Democrats were eager to exploit.
Now, Kean says he plans to return.
Speaking Thursday to the New Jersey Globe, the two-term congressman said he expects to be back in Congress “in the next couple of weeks” and that doctors believe he is “on the road to a full recovery.”
What exactly Kean is recovering from, however, remains unknown.
The 57-year-old lawmaker declined to disclose the nature of his illness, extending a stretch of uncertainty that has frustrated both political observers and some constituents back home. Since early March, Kean has missed roughly 88 roll call votes — a significant absence at a moment when nearly every Republican vote matters.
The silence surrounding his condition has also created an unusual situation inside Republican leadership circles.
House Speaker Mike Johnson acknowledged last week that he had spoken with Kean only briefly by phone several weeks earlier.
“He said he was out on a medical issue and he’ll be back as soon as possible,” Johnson told reporters. “It’s a personal thing, and obviously I told him that we’re praying for him, and I need him to get back as soon as he can.”
House Majority Leader Steve Scalise admitted he had not spoken directly with Kean at all.
That level of uncertainty is highly unusual for a sitting member absent from Congress for such an extended period, especially in a House controlled by only a handful of seats. Republicans can afford very few vacancies or absences if they hope to maintain control of the chamber heading into 2026.
The most detailed public reassurance actually came not from Kean himself, but from his father — former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean Sr.
In an interview with CNN, the elder Kean insisted his son’s illness, while serious, is not expected to create any long-term incapacitation.
“It took a real illness to knock him out,” Kean Sr. said. “This won’t linger. It’s not some kind of disease that’s going to incapacitate him in the future. The consensus is that he will be 100% OK.”
Still, the political implications are becoming increasingly difficult to separate from the medical mystery.
Kean represents New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District, one of the most closely watched battlegrounds in the country. The district, covering portions of western and central New Jersey, has steadily become more competitive in recent election cycles as suburban voters drift away from Republicans nationally.
Kean flipped the seat in 2022 by defeating Democrat Tom Malinowski, then secured reelection in 2024 against Democrat Sue Altman by a more comfortable seven-point margin. Even so, the Cook Political Report moved the district from “Lean Republican” to “Toss Up” last December, citing demographic changes and a stronger Democratic environment heading into 2026.
Democrats hoping to challenge Kean have already begun using the absence as a campaign issue.
During a May 12 debate, Democratic candidates criticized what they described as a broader lack of communication with constituents, though notably none argued Kean was obligated to reveal his private medical details.
That distinction matters politically. Most voters still tend to grant public officials some degree of privacy surrounding health issues, particularly when serious illness may be involved. But prolonged silence combined with a total disappearance from voting inevitably creates questions about transparency, representation, and fitness to serve.
For now, Kean insists he is remaining in the race.
“I’m running,” he told the Globe.
Whether voters are satisfied with that answer — and whether his return fully quiets concerns about the situation — may become one of the more closely watched political stories in New Jersey over the next year.


